Many members have been asking about the New Lead Paint Law that Governor Murphy signed on July 22, 2021. Here are the particulars:
- Requires lead inspection once there was a tenant turnover at a residence or within two years of the bill’s effective date, the need for an inspection would be triggered.
- $3.9 million dollars was put aside for grants that property owners would be able to apply for to address the lead-based hazards in the home.
- Addresses the lack of lead inspectors in the state by requiring that towns who have a dedicated inspection agency to provide the inspection of the necessary properties.
- Calls for the Department of Community Affairs to develop materials and a seminar that will be given to relevant stakeholders, like Realtors®, so that they know what is going to be required of them in the process, and what they can do to help address the issue of lead in homes.
- The bill was signed by Gov. Murphy on July 22, 2021, and the contents of the bill will go into effect one year from the signing date.